Georgette Heyer Recommendations

Is anyone out there a Heyer Virgin? I suspect many of you aren’t, but just in case you’ve always been told you need to read some Georgette Heyer, but had no idea where to start, here’s a quick list to start you off.

These Old Shades has a hero who is actually a sort of nasty person instead of just pretending to be so, and a cross-dressing heroine who is…well, kind of violent. And that’s why I love them. Try The Black Moth as an interesting compare/contrast to These Old Shades.

A Civil Contract is a Marriage of Convenience story. And also very different from most of Heyer’s work. A friend once compared it to Persuasion. The closest to it among Heyer’s own work is probably The Quiet Gentleman, also a book I love.

Venetia is probably the best for witty dialogue (at which Heyer is very skilled), and also for a rake who really feels like a rake and isn’t actually sorry for it, and a heroine who doesn’t really mind.

Finally, Sylvester, or The Wicked Uncle. Not because of the great bits in which the heroine casts the hero as the villain of her Gothic novel, but because of some subtle characterization that really struck home for me.

And now I need to go and do some re-reading.

Here’s a post at Teach Me Tonight about the recent Re-reading Georgette Heyer conference.

Related posts:
My Favorite Girls Dressed As Boys.
Intricacies of Marriages of Convenience.

About Victoria Janssen

Victoria Janssen’s first erotic novel, The Duchess, Her Maid, The Groom and Their Lover (Harlequin Spice, December 2008), was translated into French and German. Her second Spice novel, The Moonlight Mistress (December 2009), was translated into Italian and nominated for a RT Reviews Reviewers’ Choice Award. Her third novel is The Duke & The Pirate Queen (December 2010). She has also published erotic short stories as Elspeth Potter. Her blog features professional writing and marketing tips, genre discussion, book reviews, and occasional author interviews.
This entry was posted in heyer, reading, recommendations, romance novels. Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Georgette Heyer Recommendations

1. Kate Pearce says:

You pretty much hit all the highlights for me, but I'd also recommend Frederica, The Nonesuch and Arabella for the wonderful combination of excitable heroines and laid back heroes.

2. Oz says:

The Grand Sophy. Later I loved many others, but this one will always have a special place in my heart. The heroine actually shoots the hero. And is a no-nonsense woman who doesn't really need a man to keep her safe.

3. Victoria Janssen says:

THE NONESUCH is another fave of mine. It might make a good essay to compare/contrast THE GRAND SOPHY with Loretta Chase's LORD OF SCOUNDRELS.

4. Nif says:

Am making notes and plans to order books for the store. Alas, I am the only one who buys them.

5. Victoria Janssen says:

All those romance readers in your neighborhood need to come out of the closet.

6. Carly Carson says:

I loved all of them, but particularly Venetia, Arabella and The Talisman Ring (more of a mystery, but very funny, well at least to me). Her wit is what makes GH great.

7. Victoria Janssen says:

THE TALISMAN RING is one of the first ones I read by Heyer – so fun! I should reread that one.

8. Jorrie Spencer says:

Cotillion! I loved that one. My four faves are Cotillion, Venetia, Frederica and The Grand Sophy.

And there's another one, that's pretty flawed but has this hilarious sequence/chase scene that is worth the price of admission. Unfortunately, I can't remember the name at all.

9. Victoria Janssen says:

I'm surprised no one mentioned COTILLION before now!

10. Tumperkin says:

Have you been checking out the interesting Heyer posts over at Teach Me Tonight – v interesting. I have to add An Infamous Army which I adore, Devil's Cub and Friday's Child which is a lovely one for young readers. And because I love cross-dressing heroines, The Corinthian. And lots of seconding of The Quiet Gentleman and A Civil Contract. And of course the Grand Sophy is great fun.

11. Victoria Janssen says:

Yes–I wish I could have gone to the Heyer conference! I'm hoping the papers will be published somehow.

12. Lynz Pickles says:

I guess I'm the token Heyer virgin. Thanks for the list; starting to read her books has always seemed daunting. It still does, but this list makes it seem slightly easier.

13. Victoria Janssen says:

*evil laughter* Want some CANDY, little girl? Just try one! They're small!

Comments are closed.